WA How do i find out if i am a benificiary or im on a will?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Emy Basbacio

7 May 2017
I used to live with my Australian boyfriend back in the Philippines for almost three years sadly he passed away.

Back then I'm only 21, too young and can hardly speak and write english.
Few months to his Passing he always ask me to find him a lawyer because he said hes going to ask them something and me worried he might think i only live with him because of his money i try to talk different topic or tell him i forgot or i find one tomorrow. Anyway he died and embassy didnt even contact me the bank take all his money and i had to pay for his Cremation and used all my Savings.

Now im 35 and just realize what if he left me anything i always feel he did but how do i find it? I never seen any last will when he die and i dont even know what it is back then, only thing i found is like a long key like the one used in Post office. He always told me whatever happen to us i got u something and u will never had to work again if u just look after your money.

He went back to Sydney three weeks before he passed away how do i find out if he made a will in Australia or he left it to someone also how do i inquire in his Super if he write me as his benificiary too many question and dont know where to start. i really feel in my heart he left me something i just dont know where to find it?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
If he died around 14 years ago, and no one has contacted you yet, it's probably a safe bet that the either didn't have a will or didn't leave you anything. If he died intestate (without a will), the law in the state in which he resided will determine who gets the proceeds of his estate - which is usually immediate family.

There's no official register kept of wills and beneficiaries. Your best hope if you want to attempt to find out is to try contacting his immediate family and simply ask the question.

Emy Basbacio

7 May 2017
If he died around 14 years ago, and no one has contacted you yet, it's probably a safe bet that the either didn't have a will or didn't leave you anything. If he died intestate (without a will), the law in the state in which he resided will determine who gets the proceeds of his estate - which is usually immediate family.

There's no official register kept of wills and beneficiaries. Your best hope if you want to attempt to find out is to try contacting his immediate family and simply ask the question.
He dued in Phillippines

Emy Basbacio

7 May 2017
He dued in Phillippines
Hi he died with ne in phillipines how do i know if he make any will on Sydney when he went home last time? I supposed u right that long if he did make something they should really contact me by now,but what if he didnt made any will where is his Superannuation will end up? Can i inquier if he put benificiary there? Thanks

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Superannuation accounts are required to have nominated beneficiaries when they are initially set up. Unless people are conscientious about it, or receive professional advice, these are rarely updated and simply remain as whoever was nominated when the account was first opened.

There's two possible scenarios here:
a) His superannuation fund is aware of his death. If that's the case, it will have already been paid out to his nominated beneficiary or to his estate.
b) His superannuation fund is not aware of his death. If that's the case, there is an ability to search for 'lost superannuation' but this can only be done by the account holder or their authorised representative (ie the executor of his estate).

In either case, your only practical option is to make contact with his immediate family and trace it through them.