VIC Car Swapped - How to Get It Back?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Riverside

21 March 2017
My car broke down and a friend offered to fix it but also said. I will swap it for a car that won't need repairs for a while but before I got to say yes. I found out he fixed my car, swapped it for another car and cash with a friend of his. Now the girl who has it has ran up a whole heap of fines in my name.

I told her I want the car back or money details and plates for the fines. She never got a receipt for the car to say it had been sold to her. Police can't help me get it back? Can anyone tell me do I have a chance of getting it back at all?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

If it hasn't been legally transferred from your ownership, it still belongs to you. The fines can be transferred to the person in possession of the vehicle and all it takes is for you to put their name down as the driver. Unfortunately for your friend if you didn't agree to the deal they have stolen your vehicle and if they don't want it reported as such they should get it back.

The other option I would consider is going through the small claims process. I would write a letter to the young lady and let her know she has illegally come into possession of your vehicle, if she doesn't return it within 7 days you will take the matter before Magistrate court. Then let her go through a similar process to get the money back off your friend. And the question about going to the police is yes you can, but it will likely be your friend that is charge with theft and the 'girl' with possession of stolen goods.

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
In Victoria, you will need either her licence number or the current address as listed on her drivers licence for you to nominate her as the driver.