NSW My ex won’t give back my car

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Elyse

9 May 2018
My ex is currently in possession of a car which is registered in my name. I have been trying to get it back. He has blocked me on the phone so I cannot call and has refused (and even taken out of the ignition) to give the keys to me on several occasions. Last I spoke to him, he said he’ll call the cops if I turn up. It’s legally my car so what are my options? Thank you

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
First option is to go to the police station (better than calling) and see if they will help. Take ID with you, and preferably proof you purchased the car.

Second option - self help. Get VIN number and see if you can order a replacement key. If using this option notify the police immediately after reclaiming the car. The risks here are police may side with your ex and demand the return of the car, or the ex just uses his key to take it back.

Third option - depends if you qualify for de facto status. If so go to family court for a property split.

Elyse

9 May 2018
First option is to go to the police station (better than calling) and see if they will help. Take ID with you, and preferably proof you purchased the car.

Second option - self help. Get VIN number and see if you can order a replacement key. If using this option notify the police immediately after reclaiming the car. The risks here are police may side with your ex and demand the return of the car, or the ex just uses his key to take it back.

Third option - depends if you qualify for de facto status. If so go to family court for a property split.

Thank you Rod!
The car was purchased after we had split and now I live 2 hours away that’s why I had to call

Clancy

6 April 2016
Thank you Rod!
The car was purchased after we had split and now I live 2 hours away that’s why I had to call

"The car was purchased after we had split".... you would think that is a soundly black and white fact under the sun rite? Wrong. Family law is actually too dumb to comprehend that blatantly obvious in your face huge as a mountain FACT. (If you are required by law to have a financial settlement that is.)