QLD How to take notes in Law Degree?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
26 February 2021
Hi all

I have just started my law degree and am finding between readings, lectures, cases and tutorials I am struggling to figure out an effective way of note taking that makes sense and doesn’t repeat information.
I hand write in the lectures, and type up notes for the tutorials and readings... then to consolidate it later.
Have you found a better way at all, please?

thanks!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
There's no 'right' way.

You do what works for you in an exam. You need to find the information you require very quickly.

Summaries
Case references
Index
Well organised by topics
Colour coding
etc

Harry De Elle

11 February 2017
In many courses you will be asked to solve hypothetical problems by applying the MIRAT or IRAC approach i.e. identify the material facts, identify what are the issues in dispute, identify the rules and principles, apply those principles to your circumstances , acknowledge any defences and remedies and make a tentative conclusion.

Most importantly learn and understand the legal principles that case law has developed in the matter that you are dealing with and any applicable legislation.
The majority of your marks will be derived from your analysis of the law as it might apply to your case noting that there will be arguments for and against.

Harry De Elle

11 February 2017
Down loading the audio recorded lectures which most unis offer now and using transcription software convert converting audio to text (e.g. Otter) saves on hand writing time, but you will need to identify key areas in the lecture.