VIC How to Start a Property Agreement with De Facto?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Proculeius

12 October 2015
Hi Legal Members,

I'm a home owner which is in my name and I live with my partner of 2 years, which would make us de facto. This is where it gets tricky, she pays 'rent' which is 1/2 of the weekly repayment and has been for quite some time. I want to organise a legal agreement/document which states that if we were to go separate ways, that the house could not be contested in court.

I've seen such things as tenant agreements and cohabitation agreements, but are they worthwhile, and will it stand up in court? If this a family law or property law situation?

Anyone else been through a similar circumstance? Much appreciated.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Well, technically, it can be both, but I would be more inclined to place it under family law than property law because it would be governed by a property settlement.

As such, you might like to look into signing a Binding Financial Agreement with your de facto partner which indicates how assets will be divided (or not divided) if you go your separate ways.

Reactions: Proculeius

Proculeius

12 October 2015
As such, you might like to look into signing a Binding Financial Agreement with your de facto partner which indicates how assets will be divided (or not divided) if you go your separate ways.

Thanks for the prompt reply AllForHer, I guess I'm looking at finding out how much a lawyer would charge to arrange and draw up such an agreement I guess.

AllForHer

23 July 2014

Proculeius

12 October 2015
What are your expert opinions on producing your own contracts, such as a property agreement or financial agreement? There are hundreds of templates online which ask you to sign/provide witnesses, however, would it stand up in a courtroom?