NSW De Facto Relationships and Guardianship Query?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

LilyGuerin

8 May 2018
I was recently doing my RCG and heard mention of how the law's work when accompanying a minor into a pub (the family friendly areas, of course) could be done by parents, appointed stand in parents, or even someone over 18 who is their de facto relationship partner. I asked under what context could a de facto happen between two people who aren't both 18 (with the under 18, of course, being over 16 for consent laws).

I was told that, also in accordance to some changes to the law, if you live under the same roof (which doesn't have to be for 6 months anymore as per the law change) then you have a registered relationship, or de facto. The example used was the minor living with her adult partner in his/her house, which brings me to my question. Does being in a de facto with an over 18 partner mean they can be your legal guardian or caretaker, as what confused me is how an under 18 can live outside of a house where their legal guardian is?

As an example, what would the procedures be if a 17 year old from NSW wanted to live with her boyfriend (who still lives with his parents) of age 20, not necessarily because of an abusive home that needs to be taken to court, but because it is an unhappy home nonetheless, or there are better quality of life, education or financial options for the 17 year old in VIC at that household. Would the 20 year old's parents have to sign legal guardianship of the minor, or would their supposed registered relationship mean the 20 year old would have the role as caretaker over the 17 year old, with her parents consent?