QLD How Long Does Resolving Issues with Will Take?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
I'd say not. If they dispute it, you could go halves in a registered valuer but probably come out with similar to Redbook value.

Reactions: Loulou

Jacqui Brauman

15 January 2016
Victoria
www.tbalaw.com.au
And could someone also tell me if probate is necessary?
I thought you said probate was granted in January 2015? Probate is necessary if there are certain assets that require it, or if it's prudent for the executor to obtain a grant for litigation purposes. My main tip: get your own solicitor. You can usually at least get half an hour free referral from your State law society.

Loulou

4 November 2016
Yes, Jackie, probate was granted in 2015...but I'm wondering if it was necessary. I am having a 3-way phonecall with my sister (who is the executor ) and the solicitors representing her/us.

Can you recommend someone for half hour, please? I'm in NSW but dad was in Qld

MangoLover

4 October 2016
Done that...that's how we got the 12000! So basically they don't have a leg to stand on, do they??
I'm going through the same with my mum's car at the moment. Remember, the internet car sales like redbook, carsales, etc are only a guide and they cannot give a true value as they don't know what condition the car is in.

I got quotes from the internet car sales from between $7-$9.5K, but I took it to two dealers locally and two in the adjoining city and they gave values of $5K, 2x$6K and one $7K. If you take the internet values, you would expect that you are also paying for the advertising by the seller, a RWC and also the time it takes to sell and spend on proposed buyers checking the testing the car, etc. So that cost should be reduced as you will not have to go through those hassles.

I approached a second hand dealer and the vehicle-make agent (who also sold 2nd hand cars) in both towns. I would get written quotes from local agents. You would need to tell them your intentions to buy the car, as if they quoted for a trade-in, the value would be much less again.

Reactions: Loulou

Loulou

4 November 2016
Can someone please tell me if I need a 'Statement of Distribution' for each beneficiary from the solicitor?