WA How can I find a persons address?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Josey Johnson

7 January 2020
I would like to take someone to the small claims court for theft, but I don't know any contact details for him now, as he has moved from his home and workplace?

Josey Johnson

7 January 2020
I would like to take someone to the small claims court for theft, but I don't know any contact details for him now, as he has moved from his home and workplace?
Thanx for responding to my question. I only know his Christian and Surname and the address of a relative, which maybe his fathers unit and his prior workplace no longer exists. He has been through a liquidation process / bankruptsy, or whatever it's called and I did phone them, but they aren't able to give-out personal details. I was told that he has stolen money from many people and is living in a rental, quite a few suburbs away. Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
What are the circumstances of what happened here and what value is involved? I ask because it sounds to me that if there's enough value to chase it in court, then obviously it should be reported to the Police. That's probably the easiest way to find out where he is.

Josey Johnson

7 January 2020
OK, I'll try the Police, again, but these days they are very short-staffed and far too busy to deal with "petty" stuff like this.
I went to the Police initially and they just told me to see a free Lawyer/Solicitor, which I did and he told me, 'the man in question' is going through a liquidation process and it is pointless for me to join the list of Creditors as there is no money left!!
However, I find it hard to believe, in these circumstances, that a person is allowed to steal so much money and items from various people and walk away free, to do it again. I know of other individuals he still owes money to and I know he's done this before and got away with it. Yet his Privacy is being protected by the 'system'!.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
This is starting to sound like he set up a company, ripped people off and then liquidated. If that's the case, you can forget it. That happens all the time in Australia and noone ever gets their money back because our idiotic laws (generally) don't allow for directors to be held liable for the company's debts - even if there is only one director and that one person is the only owner of the company. Once the money disappears, you're screwed and will never get it back.

I lost thousands that way for work I did and wasn't paid for. And yes - the same people do this over and over again and there's absolutely nothing to stop them.

Reactions: Josey Johnson

Josey Johnson

7 January 2020
Oh Scruff, I'm awful sorry you've been through this crap too. I really don't expect to get any money back, I just want to be a 'pain in his arse'
I'm from Liverpool in the U.K. and this would not happen there, as someone would find out where he lives and they would, 'Send the Boys around' ,
to give him a good talking to ! Unfortunately I emigrated alone, so I have no back-up here, which this guy was obviously relying on. So, I was going to look into
whether I could, "Hire a Bikie" !!!!
This poor excuse for a human being, and his son, owned and ran a removals and storage company and I paid him a total of $5,000 to look after all my belongings while I was trying to renovate my little home unit. Quite a bit of my things were, what I consider to be 'expensive items' I'd bought specifically to celebrate the 1st time I've managed to purchase a home and he took the lot. I didn't know then, but prior to that, he had another removals and storage company with a similar name that he'd put into liquidation, just prior to opening the new one and I think his son has started-up another business, as he has a A.B.N. recorded. This is known as 'Illegal Phoenix Activity' and I'm about to dob them in ! Wish me luck.....Cheers and thanx for your time and moral support. Jo.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Thought as much. It was all starting to sound a little too familiar. Unfortunately when it comes to this kind of thing, the Police won't be able help because it's a civil matter. Basically, anyone can register a company in Australia with a single shareholder, then rip people off, hide the money and liquidate. Like I said before, it happens all the time.

We used to call this beautiful place "The Lucky Country" - but I haven't heard anyone refer to Oz like that in a couple of decades. Personally, I think it's because we've all resigned ourselves to the fact that Australia is "The Retarded Country" due to our grossly inadequate laws.

If you want to engage in corporate crime, then Australia is the place to do it - whether you're a backyard operator or a major global player.

A little bit of advice - hit the "Report" button under your last post and ask the moderator to delete a couple of bits for you (you know which ones I mean). This is a public forum, so you need to be careful with what you post. ;)