VIC House not built to HIA building contract requirements - Compensation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Beth

7 May 2015
Hi, we went into a HIA building contract with a builder to have our house built according to their plans but with adjustments we wanted i.e extension of certain rooms. The house was built, we handed over all the money but the house wasn't built according to the signed contract which stated the room extensions.

We've paid for the extensions. Can we receive some firm of compensation from them for not building to the signed contract?
Regards

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Beth,

It sounds as though the builder has breached the contract and so yes, you will likely be able to get some sort of remedy.

Have you contacted the builder and tried to get them to perform the contract? Ie to build the agreed extensions.
Or have you asked them to compensate you for the agreed value of the extensions?

If the builder isn't co-operating, then you can apply to get a court order.

Reactions: Beth

Beth

7 May 2015
Thanks Ivy,
I have contacted the builder, they sounded a little panicked and never returned my call. I'll try again on Monday. I think the issue is that the work that should have been done would apparently require the entire house to be pulled down as the complete roofline has to change and the concrete slab should have been bigger.
Thank you so much for your reply.
Regards

Hi Beth,

It sounds as though the builder has breached the contract and so yes, you will likely be able to get some sort of remedy.

Have you contacted the builder and tried to get them to perform the contract? Ie to build the agreed extensions.
Or have you asked them to compensate you for the agreed value of the extensions?

If the builder isn't co-operating, then you can apply to get a court order.