VIC Hotels

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tjayde

21 March 2021
My partner was recently staying at a hotel with partial financial help because is homeless for the past 3weeks and maybe once or twice on a weekend myself and my children would stay. The toilet recently became blocked in the morning before when my kids weren't even there and we told the owners and the owner didn't try to do anything about it until that night to try unblock it and was unsuccessful so he said he will call a plumber the next day. And didn't even get anybody to clean the mess he made from trying to fix it, due to the smell in the room from the toilet and not having anywhere to use the bathroom we asked to be put in a different room until it was fixed. They refused to put us in a different room and accused me of flushing my child's diaper in the toilet. So the next day we asked again to be placed in another room and were again refused and were told we don't have to stay here and to check out if we don't want to stay there. So we did that morning. Later that afternoon I got a notification from my bank that two $200 transactions was charged from my acc to the hotel. I rang them up the next day once their reception was open and they still continued to accuse me of putting a diaper in the toilet and then said there was human waste on the floor in the bathroom. My children weren't even there when the toilet became blocked. The waste that was on the floor was from the owner when he had tried to plunge the toilet to unblock and they never cleaned it, not us. They refused to transfer the money back that they took without notifying me. Can they do this? Please help.