NSW Homemade armoured vehicle.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MadMike

24 April 2017
Hello.
I have a idea for a very long and very big project, this project in a armored vehicle but not just any vehicle. A World War 2 tank. The tank will be made in house by myself and anyone who wants to help. The tank will (most likely be) a Panzer IV H. The Panzer IV has one main cannon and 2 machine guns. Not to worry though as the 2 machine guns will be props and the main cannon will be disabled so no one can fire anything. This will be as close a replica as possible and will eventually be sold to a war museum This project will take several years.

My question is, what is the law around this, can I build a tank? fully operating (turret moves, engine works, etc.) Will I need special paperwork? and if so, what might it cost?

Thanks.
MadMike

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
The weapons may fall under the requirements for 'imitations' under the Firearms Act. You can acquire a permit for these through NSW Police. I'd have a talk to them generally about what you're doing, as it might make for an easier time down the track if some nervous people decide to call the cops if they see your build.

Aside from that, if you're intending to drive it on the road at all, I'd check in with NSW Roads and Maritime as to their roadworthy requirements.

It might also be worth your while getting in touch with a social club. You might find people there who have already done similar and can help you with some of the pitfalls. You can try the Jeep Club of NSW (www.jeepclubofnsw.org.au) as a starting point (they usually cover more than just jeeps), or put the word out down at your local RSL.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Try an army museum such as Puckapunyal. They also may know what is required.

Army Tank Museum
Address: Herakleion Parade, Puckapunyal VIC 3662
Phone: (03) 5735 7285