QLD Gifted a car

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Monkey123

27 December 2020
Hello
Was recently gifted a car by a partner , gifted without any conditions attached ! Issue the vehicle is registered in his name , as the car was a gift , he has not asked for it back as yet but am I entitled to keep it as I got rid of my other car once I received the gifted car.

legally where does this sit

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
...Issue the vehicle is registered in his name , as the car was a gift...
Told you that, did he?

What evidence do you have that it was in fact a gift?
At the moment, on paper, it looks more like a car of his, that he lets you use.
And if you want to keep it, then that's the first hurdle.

1 October 2022
Hello, Monkey123! Usually, if people gift cars or property, they adjust all necessary papers that this property/car will belong now to the other person.

1 October 2022
Hello, Monkey123! Usually, if people gift cars or property, they adjust all necessary papers that this property/car will belong now to the other person.
Right now, it is his car, and you are just using it. Technically, it is not a gift YET. I know that exists some special taxation on the big gifts(for smaller gifts like flowers or candies, taxation does not apply), so maybe he doesn't want to take on additional expenses right now. In your place, I would discuss this matter with him. You can propose that you will pay the gift taxes for him. Maybe it will solve the issue.