NSW Legal ownership of gifted car

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mineshed

2 December 2019
I have a car gifted to me by a non related friend. It is registered in my name. I do not have a receipt or letter stating the car is mine. My friend organized all of the necessary paperwork to register the car in my name. I have had the car for 2 1/2 years. I am no longer friends with this person and they have demanded I return the car within 14 days or they will begin legal proceedings to take it back. I have copies of all messages stating the persons intent to gift it to me as well as several messages where I offered to give the car back and the person refused, stating it is my car. Should I be worried that this person will successfully take this car from me? Is there anything I can do to prove ownership?

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
I don't think you need to be concerned. It seems that you have everything covered to prove ownership.

Anky

10 February 2020
I think that car is registered by your name so you have one thing to prove that is your car. Or If you have any scrap car to sell or you are planning to sell there are car buyer which will offer you the best.

Last edited by a moderator: