VIC Fvio Information

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JonnoWill

4 February 2023
Good Morning just leting you know up front this is in Victoria.

My son currently has a Family Violence Intervention Order (FVIO) against his ex and his two kids. Paragraph 9 of the FVIO allows them to have contact only regarding the children, and this arrangement has been going well. To ensure safety, I suggested that my son install cameras in the driveway of his home where she drops off the kids. Additionally, I advised him that if she asks about anything other than the children, he should respond with, "I can't discuss that."

One evening, while my son was entertaining guests, his ex showed up unexpectedly with her intoxicated brother. They claimed they were there to pick up a BBQ. It was around 7:30 PM. Instead of escalating the situation, my son decided not to cause any trouble and allowed her brother to take the BBQ. In all honesty what could he have done?

The second incident occurred last night when she unexpectedly showed up at my son's second job with her brother. However, on that particular night, my son was not working at the entertainment venue. If he had been working and she knew about his employment there, what course of action could have been taken? Would my son have been required to leave the premises?

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I suspect the IVO is against your son.

If so, he should apply for his own to stop being harassed, especially at work.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Go to the cop shop and try to speak to the cop who issued the IVO. Ask copper what he is to do if she rocks up to his work-place. Look cops do tend to be pretty no nonsense common sense kind of people. They're also well aware that people use IVO's as a strategy in family law or to get vengence... My ex used to call me... I was not allowed to answer her calls. Eventually, I did because I fears that something had happened to the kids. NOPE. She just wanted to talk to me. I told her I wasn't allowed... HER response was to tell me she was going to talk and I had to listen... Of course I hung up.... I called the cops and the cops called her and told her that she needed to stop calling me or they would put an avo on her for harassing me.

JonnoWill

4 February 2023
Go to the cop shop and try to speak to the cop who issued the IVO. Ask copper what he is to do if she rocks up to his work-place. Look cops do tend to be pretty no nonsense common sense kind of people. They're also well aware that people use IVO's as a strategy in family law or to get vengence... My ex used to call me... I was not allowed to answer her calls. Eventually, I did because I fears that something had happened to the kids. NOPE. She just wanted to talk to me. I told her I wasn't allowed... HER response was to tell me she was going to talk and I had to listen... Of course I hung up.... I called the cops and the cops called her and told her that she needed to stop calling me or they would put an avo on her for harassing me.
Thanks for the reply Sammy, The responsibility for this situation lies with the ex-partner she placed the FVIO on him, not the police. I received the same advice as you did: go to the police and file a report. As a precautionary measure, I have installed cameras in the area where the children are dropped off. Furthermore, I have explicitly instructed him to refrain from discussing any matters unrelated to the children, and he must firmly maintain this boundary. Since she initiated the FIVO (Family Intervention and Violent Offender Order), she should handle the consequences. I have also advised him to record their conversations and diligently document all relevant information in a diary for future reference..