WA Friend Stole Money from My Bank Account - Press Charges?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Foofighter

27 August 2019
Hi,

So just over 2 weeks ago, my friend stole money from my bank account. It was only 100 dollars, but I want them to be held accountable. I had gone out for the evening and my friend asked to hang out at my house. I said yes as my teenage son was home and I assumed they would hang out together. I had left my wallet at home with one of my bank cards was in it.

The next morning I checked my account and noticed money had been withdrawn. I instantly confronted my friend who admitted they took it and apologised and said they would pay it back. I gave them 2 weeks return the money or I would contact the cops...

They are now not returning my calls. I have banks statements and there would be footage of them withdrawing the money but it's still my word against theirs if they choose to deny or lie about anything...

Will the police bother helping me or am I wasting my time?

Atticus

6 February 2019
Will the police bother helping me or am I wasting my time?

I'd like to say yes they will help, but chances are they won't... I guess the $100 is what it has cost to find out who your friends are... Maybe they will get an attack of the guilt's one day & pay it back.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi, so just over 2 weeks ago my friend Stole money from my bank account. It was only 100 dollars but I want them to be held accountable. I had gone out for the evening and my friend asked to hang out at my house, I said yes as my teenage son was home and I assumed they would hang out together. I had left my wallet at home with one of my bank cards in it. The next morning I checked my account and noticed money had been withdrawn, I instantly confronted my friend whom admitted they took it and apologised and said they would pay it back. I gave them 2 weeks return the money or I would contact the cops..... They are now not returning my calls. I have banks statements and there would be footage of them withdrawing the money but it's still my word against there's if they choose to deny or lie about anything.... Will the police bother helping me or am I wasting my time?

I don't think anything would happen as a person needs the PIN to use your card, unless it is a swipe at the shop. If it is an ATM, then how did they get your PIN? It should be secure. They can go back to the ATM and see the video. I am not sure if they keep the videos for that period, but you need to act soon and not delay.