VIC Do I Have Any Grounds to Sue Franchise?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
9 August 2016
Hi,

I have been in Australia for 8 years and currently a citizen. I have been a professional cleaning at the likes of Cafe, Schools, etc.

My Issue:

One of my cafe jobs didn't pay me for 3 Months, so I went to VCAT, which stood by me and finally I got paid. I got the cleaning contract from a cleaning franchise, and I am a Franchisee as well.

Now the reason why I want to sue the Franchise is because when I didn't get paid for three months, I called the main office and they told me to wait until Wednesday and to stop cleaning if I don't get paid. So I didn't get paid and I stopped cleaning.

The very next day, the franchise put another cleaner at the job even though the reason I stopped cleaning was because the employer wasn't paying me.

How this franchise works is you pay them a certain amount and then they gave you a specific amount of work. I paid $12,000 to get this $2,000 cleaning job at this cafe 3 years. ago. What I think they have done is remove me from the equation and then sold the same contract to another franchisee.

Do I have any grounds to sue them?

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Quite likely. Recommend you see a solicitor as they will need to read the agreements and ascertain exact dates and look at standard business practices in order to give accurate advice.