WA Felt I Had to Resign - Workplace Bullying?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Stretching

3 June 2015
Hi, I recently resigned from my job as a workmate (a supposed friend) went behind my back and complained about me and it was re a issue about how I spoke to someone and she lied to one of the bosses and he didn't even know what to say as I caught them talking about me and I just walked out when I couldn't believe what she had said. No one tried to stop me to say what the problem is.

Now I don't have a job and she is still working there and the wife of the boss said she doesn't know what happened and that they know she does that all the time. Is it workplace bullying? Please help.

S

Sophea

Hi Stretching,

Bullying is defined as repeated conduct, therefore a single incident cannot constitute bullying, despite being distressing and/or harmful to you. However a single incident can still breach other employment laws and should be taken up with your supervisor. In circumstances where you left voluntarily and it was not your employer who forced you to resign, it would not amount to unlawful dismissal either.

I would speak with your former employer about this and try to set matters straight about what you did or did not say because even if you do not wish to go back to your employment there, it may affect future reference etc.