VIC Federal Circuit Court - Consequences of Ex Forging My Signature?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

HarleyLee

2 March 2017
Hi.

I'd love some info please.

I am trying to obtain financial and property settlement from my ex husband. Today I discovered he has purchased a house, which he did not disclose in his affidavit to the Federal Circuit Court. Further investigation has revealed that he obtained the loan by using our joint property as security and forging my signature on the loan application. The bank is now investigating.

What are the ramifications of forging my signature on the loan application? Would he have had to have my 'signature' witnessed my someone else and if so, what is the penalty for the 'witness'? Will these acts be seen badly by the Federal Circuit Court at our next appearance - not he is taking me to court although his affidavit is full of lies and deception, all which we can now prove.

Thanks for your help.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi HarleyLee,

That's a serious crime and in accordance with section 82 of the Crimes Act 1958 your ex could be facing a maximum of 10 years imprisonment. Section 83A also details the crime of falsification of documents (also maximum of 10 years imprisonment), so he and any witnesses could be up for serious jail time if found guilty.