VIC Faulty Bonaire Air Conditioner - Rights to a Full Refund?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

James Brown

16 January 2017
Hi,

I have a Bonaire BI12OD Air Conditioner that is faulty (it won't cool down our house on hot days), purchased for $12,000 Heating & Cooling. It has been a manufacture fault as the system I now know has many bad reviews and prone to always breaking down.

I have had 13 service calls to Climate Technologies, the Manufacturer, which they sometimes fix for a week then it simply breaks down again, or sometimes don't even fix it and come up with excuses (I have been strung along for 5 years over the warranty period, which now is out of warranty).

They are willing to replace part of the unit. Only the outdoor condenser with a new one and a standard 1-Year warranty. If this breaks down again, what are my Australian Consumer Law rights? Can I get a full refund?

I have lost many days off work and not being paid as I am a casual employee.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi James,

13 service calls over 5 years sounds like they didn't provide a system that was fit for purpose and their continued inability to effect repairs is not meeting your expectations. Saying that they do keep coming back.This blog post has some really good information: Your Consumer Rights - Repairs, Refunds and Exchanges - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au

You should probably call Consumer Affairs Victoria if the replacement item doesn't do the job.