QLD Father has no contact DVO, children are named. Paternal grandfather wants to see children.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
24 August 2018
Hello.

My situation is; my children's father has a no contact DVO with my children as named protected people after he strangled me. He spent 3 months in prison on remand and has been released recently on bail. The proceedings still continue.
His Father wants to see the kids.
I have no issues with the paternal family, and I would have no hesitation letting his family see the kids, however my concern is if this somehow puts me and my children at risk of my children's father finding us.
My question is, is there a way I can facilitate a relationship between my children and the paternal family that is safe? Or would allowing contact possibly put us at risk.
Obviously my own judgment and my gut instinct as a mother comes into it and my gut says stay away, I am just asking for advice about options and possibilities.
Thanks everyone.

sammy01

27 September 2015
how did grandad contact you?
Dad still has a DVO out on him im guessing?
Unless dad has abused the kids it is likely that he would be granted access in court, even if it was supervised.
While I understand your concerns, but if you get on well enough with Grandad I think organising for him to meet you at a park or what ever isn't a bad idea. Just make sure you're very clear in telling him that you don't want to talk about anything to do with the father of the kids...

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ok so you basically have every legal protection available. I reckon agreeing to meet, but do it via facebook. Don't give out phone number etc etc. If there are problems you can block granddad on facebook.

24 August 2018
OK thank you for your advice.
I am under the impression the grandfather lives with my children's father now.
The grandfather has assured me he won't tell the father where or when we meet however it does make me anxious about organising a visit. Even if it is a park or somewhere like that.

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
If the children are young enough, I think a meeting at Maccas would be suitable - cctv and generally lots of people around.