NSW Family Law Separation - Refinancing Mortgage to Interest Only?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rick O'Shay

9 May 2015
De facto partner is going through the motions of separation as am I and currently we are doing this at a very amicable level. We have a joint mortgage and recently the partner went and had "discussions" seeking to refinance in an attempt to pay me out. The bank mentioned "steps" required in order to allow removal of my name from the mortgage.

Now I have very vague information about these discussions or "steps" apart from I am beginning to get pushed very hard to sign a document which allows our mortgage to be changed to "interest only". I am seeing changing the home loan to "interest only" being an extreme financial risk in addition to possibly preventing the sale or refinancing of the home. I spent the last 6 months not working and encouraged to be content in a one income household and now with the separation this leaves me without the ability to contribute to anything.

My ex has advised if I do not sign this "interest only" contract things will begin to get quiet nasty starting with only half the mortgage being paid each month and me left to fend for myself even though I'm completely broke.

Hoping someone can answer quickly before the next wave of "sign this interest only mortgage or face impending doom".

Rick O'Shay

9 May 2015
Can anyone tell me the risks of signing over a mortgage to "Interest only" during a family law related separation.
I believe there could be great difficulty refinancing or selling without a loss to settle separation.