VIC Family Law - Information Regarding Termination of Parental Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

rodger_meals

1 March 2018
Hello all,

To sum up my situation as fast as I can, I'd been dating a girl for little under 4 months. After breaking up with her, I come to find that she's pregnant. Due to hearing this and being 17 at the time, I stressed many times on being unable/unwilling to help her through this venture. But to my dismay, she refused any options and followed through with it anyway.

Now being a little over a year since the birth, I've come to find that Termination of Parental Rights may be the way for me to go since I still don't want to have the responsibility of the child. My questions are:

Can I request a TPR in order to give the mother all rights to the child? Can it stop child support payments as well as the interfering with options she has for the child's education, etc?

If not, do I have any options being that I was and still am unwilling to have anything to do with it?

Thank you very much for any responses,

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Shared parental responsibility can only be terminated by order of the Court.

You can file consent orders together with the mother in the Federal Circuit Court that grants her sole parental responsibility.

However, this does not abscond you from your child support obligations.

I strongly suggest that you both get legal advice from Legal Aid. Consultations for family matters are, within certain limitations, free.

rodger_meals

1 March 2018
Thank you very much for your quick response.

Is there anything I can do in order to abscond/end child support payments? Or is it under the courts impression that child support should always be paid?

Thanks again

AllForHer

23 July 2014
No, there is no way to get out of child support.

Unless of course you aren't the father.