Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Family Law - Father Should Help Support Daughter with ABI Financially

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by dale evans, 13 November 2015.

Tags:
  1. dale evans

dale evans Member

I have a 33 year old daughter with a A.B.I (acquired brain injury). R was involved in a motor vehicle accident in 2002, and as a result suffered ABI.. I was living with her dad at the time, but we drifted apart. In 2005, R and I bought a unit in Brisbane. We have been here 10 years now. During this time, her dad has very rarely been to see her ( as he remarried to a Chinese lady) or supported her in any way!

I am R's carer and have been since the accident. R's dad has spent lots of money on this Chinese woman and her son, thus neglecting his own daughter. What I am seeking is assistance with R's physiotherapy, etc.

R did not receive any settlement from her accident as she was at fault! I want her dad to help pay for her medical and care. It's so hard doing it on my own. He never helps or comes to see her! I think he should be responsible for helping R out financially, in the past and future, under Family Law!

Thank you for your time. Hoping I can get some help from him!

2. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

I think you're going to need to see a solicitor for legal advice about this matter.

In some circumstances where an adult child has a mental disability, I think a parent can apply for maintenance for an adult child, but I think it can only be decided by the court and I am not sure of what is required to attain it.

Many solicitors offer a free first consultation, so it would be worth your while to get legal advice.

Sorry I can't be more help than that, can anyone else offer any insight?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    dale evans likes this.