QLD Family Law Court - Contact with Other Side's Lawyer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

prosurfer

15 December 2014
I am currently self-representing in family law court. Since filing my affidavit, I have been contacted by telephone by the lawyer working for the mother to discuss out of court property settlement. Just wondering if I should take any calls for the lawyer or insist on everything to be in writing.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Take the phone call... Negotiate. Try and get a good outcome. Solicitor is calling to work you out. A 2 min phone call / chat to workout if it is worth writing to you OR to work out if you're not willing to compromise, so why bother writing and go straight to court.

prosurfer

15 December 2014
Thanks. I figured the lawyer was trying to work me out, but wasn't sure if I should keep them in the dark or not, or if there were other risks. In previous proceedings, my lawyer told me in court not to talk to the other lawyer without him under any circumstances. If we ran into each other in the bathroom etc. but wasn't sure if it was for risk of me giving something away, risk off them making false allegations about what they claim I said, or just he didn't want to miss a chance to bill me for something.

sammy01

27 September 2015
A solicitor isn't gonna make false accusations. If they get proven wrong they can lose their job. Your old solicitor was just trying to convice you that it was important that you need them.