NSW Family Court - Dispute in Changeover Location?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MsSassy

2 July 2018
I'm currently in family court trying to finanlise parenting orders. This only thing in the way of parenting being finalised is agreement on changeover.

At the time of our separation, my residence was 2hrs but I was working 4hrs from the children's home. I have now moved to the location that I work. I would like changeover of half-way. However, the other party won't agree to this. She wants it to stay as is which would be 6hr round trip for me and 2hr round trip for her.

What is the likelihood of the judging ruling in favour of my partner?

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
My experience says that it will be made halfway but it could easily go the other way too and you have to do the drive.

it's up to the individual judge.

One small thing that goes again you is a fact that you moved for work and it could be said that the other side should not be put out because of that

And that is with me assuming that you did the two hour drive before because if the other side drove for 2 hours half the time their argument would be pretty weak in court as to why they should not continue to do that

MsSassy

2 July 2018
Thank you for your quick reply. I moved for work but also for a new relationship. My kids do spend time in the town I work during holidays and long weekends however on weekends outside of this we spend time together in the town 2 hrs away with my family. My kids' mother has at times done changeover half-way but only when it benefits them when visiting their friends. I’m trying to decide if it’s worth pursuing through court or just agree to our current changeover.

Nonfiction

17 May 2018
Victoria
What is the likelihood of the judging ruling in favour of my partner?

Could go either way.

Look, do you really want to prolong this by haggling over you doing a 6 hour round trip...2, maybe 4 times every few months (just school holidays...pickup and drop-off and possibly a long weekend?), when your orders can be done and dusted, you’re the one who moved further out and, the kids have to travel 4 hours one way?