QLD Family Court and DNA Testing - Should I Leave the State?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

HannahLee1994

17 March 2016
Hi,

I'm currently living in Queensland, 28 weeks pregnant and I am looking to move back to my hometown of Western Australia. The guy who I am pregnant to hasn't spoken to me since the 13th December, despite my numerous attempts of contacting him. He's known for months now that I am leaving and still hasn't responded.

My question is, can he make me come back to Queensland after leaving, how difficult will it be for a DNA testing to be done, especially if it is through family court. I want to get a DNA test to prove to him he is the father, and I want him to pay child support to help support his child.

How hard will this be to do living 3000 miles away, should I not move at all? And if he decides he wants custody of children, will I have to go back?

I need help desperately, please!

AllForHer

23 July 2014
The baby is not born yet, which means in legal terms, you are not a mother, he is not a father, neither of you are parents yet, so nobody has any parental rights or responsibilities and it's quite simply a matter of "you're in charge of your own body".

Further to that, the father will have significantly more trouble having you relocated to Queensland if the baby is born in WA than if the baby was born in Queensland and then you relocated to WA later.

Regarding DNA testing, this is where it gets complicated. When the baby is born, name the father on the birth certificate even if he doesn't sign it, then speak to CSA about his obligations to maintain the child. However, in the event the father is made to pay child support, he will also have shared parental responsibility for the child, which means you need his consent for the child's passports, changes of name, etc. and he will be able to pursue patenting orders for time with the child.

HannahLee1994

17 March 2016
The baby is not born yet, which means in legal terms, you are not a mother, he is not a father, neither of you are parents yet, so nobody has any parental rights or responsibilities and it's quite simply a matter of "you're in charge of your own body".

Further to that, the father will have significantly more trouble having you relocated to Queensland if the baby is born in WA than if the baby was born in Queensland and then you relocated to WA later.

Regarding DNA testing, this is where it gets complicated. When the baby is born, name the father on the birth certificate even if he doesn't sign it, then speak to CSA about his obligations to maintain the child. However, in the event the father is made to pay child support, he will also have shared parental responsibility for the child, which means you need his consent for the child's passports, changes of name, etc. and he will be able to pursue patenting orders for time with the child.

Well, we both already are parents have children from previous relationships. But, yeah, sounds like a heap of drama no matter what I do :/