SA Fake Facebook Account - Can I Be Charged?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bill75

21 December 2014
Hi, I set up a fake Facebook account under one of my ex friends name, I have been talking to her using this other person name to find out if she was seeing someone else and now I have been caught out but she doesn't know its me, she has passed the information on to ACORN, what will happen next and will I be charged and will she find out it was me, thanks

Reactions: nickolos
S

Sophea

Hi Bill75, yes using someone’s personal information to create a profile or account to harass or offend them can be a crime. It may also be in breach of the website’s terms of use. It is a contravention of Facebook's rules to create an account for anyone else without their permission.

For example, if you were to create a public Facebook page under a different' person's name, using their real personal details and photograph you could face charges for identity theft, stalking or using the internet in a menacing, harassing or offensive way.

I'm not sure what ACORN are able to trace with technology or whether they would be able to identify you.

Bill75

21 December 2014
Hi Bill75, yes using someone’s personal information to create a profile or account to harass or offend them can be a crime. It may also be in breach of the website’s terms of use. It is a contravention of Facebook's rules to create an account for anyone else without their permission.

For example, if you were to create a public Facebook page under a different' person's name, using their real personal details and photograph you could face charges for identity theft, stalking or using the internet in a menacing, harassing or offensive way.

I'm not sure what ACORN are able to trace with technology or whether they would be able to identify you.
I did not use a photo just picked a person in her friends list and used that name, I used different date of birth, I belive it is a very grey area but I do know it was morally wrong, thanks

DennisD

11 July 2014
It is not a 'grey area' as you suggest. You have absolutely no right to do that.

Bill75

21 December 2014
Yes I know I had no right to do this, yes ok it's no grey area, what will be the out come, what will happen next?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
It depends on whether ACORN will investigate the matter. Yes, they are able to trace the ID back to you by using the IP tracking. I would immediately shut down the account, write a formal apology to the person whose identity you stole assuring them you will not do anything of this sort again, and hope ACORN does not decide to pursue the matter.