QLD Facebook messages leading to a warning

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Aduncan

22 February 2021
I’m currently on maternity leave from my job.
My employer had a return to work meeting with me where we were to discuss dates that I’d be looking at coming back. At the meeting they then advised that my Facebook had been logged in and they had read messages between me and another employee while I have been on leave and are giving me a written warning because of things said.
My Facebook was logged into that computer previously as I managed hotel Facebook pages from that account. All the messages they have read (and gone back months to do it - and have sent screenshots of the messages) are from while I’ve been on leave.
Is what they have done illegal? I obviously no longer feel comfortable returning to that workplace knowing they’ve breached my privacy and gone through those messages. And who knows what other conversations they have read.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is what they have done illegal?
Quite likely.

Though on the flip side using Facebook at work may be a breach of workplace resources and policies. Might be you who should apologise and say to them to log you out.

Not as many hospitality jobs going these days so job protection may be more important than your embarrassment and privacy.

Aduncan

22 February 2021
Quite likely.

Though on the flip side using Facebook at work may be a breach of workplace resources and policies. Might be you who should apologise and say to them to log you out.

Not as many hospitality jobs going these days so job protection may be more important than your embarrassment and privacy.
It was logged in as it was used for part of my role - managing other business pages while on work time so there was a genuine reason for having it logged in. The messages were written, and read, four months into my maternity leave. So this wasn’t done on company time at all.
Completely agree with not many hospitality jobs going, do I have the ability then to say I won’t perform that part of my role when returning because I no longer feel comfortable having my personal account open on a word device?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
it was logged in as it was used for part of my role - managing other business pages while on work time
Good, ask for a 'work account'. If/when they provide a work account then you do not have an reason to refuse.

I won't get into the discussion about Facebook not having 'business accounts', that is not your concern or worry. Just don't use your personal account.

And of course explain all this very nicely and say this is the result of their written warning. Ensures you comply with company policies :)

Reactions: Aduncan