Executor Maladministration

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lucylou90

10 April 2020
I’ve just found out that my grandmother left my $20k in her will.
My father was the executor and he just kept it for himself.
This was over 12 years ago. Is there anything I can do about it or is it too late? I was an adult at the time of her death.

Reactions: unique

unique

17 March 2019
What?!
How can an executor get away with that
Do you know who the estate lawyer was ?
How did you find this out?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Have you asked your father what happened to the money? There may be an explanation. For example if there were not enough funds in the estate to cover all debts and funerary expenses then there would not be any money to find bequests.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Have you asked your father what happened to the money? There may be an explanation. For example if there were not enough funds in the estate to cover all debts and funerary expenses then there would not be any money to find bequests.
This is very common, actually......

The short answer is – depends. You may have a claim against your father for the $20k plus interest. You’ll need to try to get a copy of the Will. A solicitor can assist you to get a copy of the Will. As a beneficiary of the estate, you can ask for an accounting of the trust (the administration of the estate). You then need to speak to an experienced solicitor to determine whether or not you have an actual claim against your father.

Disclaimer: My LawAnswers comments are for general informational purposes only which are current at the time of publication, and do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. Professional advice should be sought prior to any action being taken in reliance on any of the information expressed here. You may seek professional advice from me, but any advice given is subject to satisfactory engagement of legal services on Bambrick Legal's usual terms and full and proper disclosure of all relevant circumstances.
For professional legal advice, contact Suzi Cengarle, Bambrick Legal – Kent Town SA – Law Tap – Find a Lawyer & Book Online Instantly