QLD Ex De Facto Refusing to Collect Property

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

slaw

24 July 2014
Hi,

I dissolved a de facto relationship and the ex partner moved out quite a long time ago, however they are refusing to come and get their belongings, what happens in this case? I am aware that his belongings can not be damaged as I will be liable, but how long do I have to store them for? I don't know his forwarding address to send his belongings to, nor will he respond to my texts/emails requesting he come and collects his property. Thank you for your assistance.

Worldly1

25 April 2014
Australia
Hi Slaw,
Have you had a look at this LawAnswers Family Law Forum Post "Separation. Removing Ex Partner's Property?"? Is there anybody you know that might have his forwarding address? Perhaps you could both text and email (so that you have a written record) your ex partner notifying him that you will be removing all unclaimed property and donating them to charity on X date (a set reasonable date in the future - eg, in 30 days' time on day/month/2014). So if he hasn't removed the property by that date, you can dispose of them in the way you notified him. I think you can also technically sell his property or keep it for yourself after that time, but donating to charity seems to be the less messy option.

The only other thing I can think of that you might need to be wary of is if you're leasing a property and his name's still on the lease, then you'd need to notify and store for 30 days after the tenancy ends - See the QLD RTA site http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Resources...ts/Goods-and-documents-left-behind-fact-sheet. If you're the only one on the lease or you own your home/apartment yourself or you're staying with friends/family, then just give the written notice as above.

slaw

24 July 2014
Thank you so much for your reply, I really do appreciate the information that you have given me it was a HUGE help!