VIC Eviction from Employer Provided Housing

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mandy Leary

8 August 2014
My husband has been employed on a dairy farm. The house in which we live is provided with the job so we do not pay rent as it is included with his yearly pay. My hubby has given notice that he was leaving this job he finished last night 7/8/2014. The lady who owns the house now wants us out of the house by 9/8/2014 at 11am. What sort of time does she have to give us to get out of the house under employment law or property law? 48 hours just seems wrong. Please help.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Mandy Leary,
  1. Which state/territory are you located in?
  2. What does your husband's employment agreement say in relation to housing?
  3. Did your husband give notice of his resignation last night or finish his employment last night?

Mandy Leary

8 August 2014
My hubby has worked on a dairy farm for the last 10 months we have lived in a house on the farm but do not pay rent as it is part of his salary last week he gave notice that he was cecing employment at this farm the owner came along today and told me we have to be out buy sunday lunch time that is 36 hours away i do not know what to do she is trying to be a bully please help i dont know what to do

Mandy Leary

8 August 2014
Hi @Mandy Leary,
  1. Which state/territory are you located in?
  2. What does your husband's employment agreement say in relation to housing?
  3. Did your husband give notice of his resignation last night or finish his employment last night?
Hi Jhon R we are in Victoria and he gave the boss a weeks notice of him leaving and he finished employment with her this afternoon and there was nothing in his employment agreement about hosing and she wont give us a copy of the aggreement that he signed

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Mandy Leary,
  1. If your husband was not given a copy of his employment contract, he should insist on receiving a copy of it for his records. I assume that the one week resignation notice period was in your husband's employment contract and that he was aware of this when resigning?
  2. Without knowing the specifics of your husband's employment contract, it appears reasonable for your husband's employer to be asking your husband (and his family) to leave employer-provided housing now that his employment has ended.
  3. From a practical perspective, if additional time is required to pack and find new housing (and this wasn't considered or agreed earlier), your husband may want to consider negotiating an extension (either by resuming employment and/or paying rent at an agreed rate) with his former employer.
Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.