NSW Employment Law - Not Being Paid Fairly by Employer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Anonymously

3 September 2016
Hi, sorry to bother, I was just wondering if I could possibly get some help from someone.

I have a pretty serious case of anxiety to the extent that at one point of my life I kept going to the hospital 3 or 4 nights a week thinking I was having heart attacks. I had recently found work through a disability job provider which helped get work by supplementing my payments because of my anxiety.

I have recently been working with one employer for 8 months, but we made arrangements that he would pay me $200 a week, and I would just be given the money that the job provider, who would give back to him at the end of my agreement. He signed a form stating that I was being employed under the base rate for a labourer. I don't remember the actual hourly rate but it was supposed to be $750 a week, which obviously I have not been getting.

I have now been told by a friend of my boss that he has no intentions of ever giving me any money and has no intentions of my agreement leading to a job, so I was just wondering if I have a case to do something about this or should I just cop it on the chin? I don't have any pay slips to show what he has been paying me cash which was fine with the job provider, but as I said, there is a signed agreement stating that I should have been paid over this period of time.

Any help under employment law would be greatly appreciated.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Go to the Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO), state your circumstances and see what they say.

Based on what you have said the employer is doing the wrong thing and taking advantage of people who he suspects do not have the ability to stand up for their rights.

Let us know how you go after contacting the FWO.

Anonymously

3 September 2016
Hi ,Rod

Thanks for taking some of your time to help me with my situation. Can I contact the FWO anonymously?

I don't particularly want to cause too much trouble just yet just seeing if I have to just take this as a loss an be less trust worthy of people or if there's something I can actually do

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Can I contact the FWO anonymously?

Yes. Though giving your name will not identify the employer. The FWO people are used to dealing with these kinds of enquires and understand the need for discretion.