- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

Employment Law - Forced to Work Less Hours than Stated in Contract?

Discussion in 'Employment Law Forum' started by DDD, 28 December 2015.

Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
  1. DDD

DDD Member

28 December 2015

I currently have a fixed term 4 week fly in out contract for 54 hours per week. This week I will only work 36 hours with 2 travel day at end of contract. On the roster, I am down for Wednesday off but I have requested to work. I have been told I cannot work despite being contracted to do 54 a week. The less I work the less I get paid as under 54 hrs.

Am I entitled to insist I work as my contract says 54 hrs under Employment Law?

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

27 May 2014
    If your contract is a fixed 54/wk, then you are entitled to be paid for 54 hrs per week.

Though check your contract fine print, the employer may have an escape clause.
  3. Emily Rambal

Emily Rambal Active Member

15 January 2016
    You can’t work more than 48 hours a week on average. This law is sometimes called the ‘working time directive’ or ‘working time regulations’.

You may have to work more than 48 hours a week on average if you work in a job:

where 24-hour staffing is required
    in the armed forces, emergency services or police
    in security and surveillance
    as a domestic servant in a private household
    as a seafarer, sea-fisherman or worker on vessels on inland waterways
    where working time is not measured and you’re in control, eg you’re a managing executive with control over your decisions