QLD Withdrawal of Employment Offer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Anne Engle

14 May 2015
I was recently recruited by a large Aged Care facility. I attended the orientation day and signed a contract with them for a P/PT position. 6 days later, I received a phone call stating that the offer of employment was being withdrawn. When I asked why, they responded with " you are no longer physically capable of carrying out the duties required" In other words, you are too old. I am 54 years old and have been in this industry, in this role for 20 years.

Can they legally do this to me under employment law?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Anne,

If I were you I would call Fair Work Australia straight away. This sounds like a classic case of discrimination which is an adverse action against an employee or prospective employee due to one of the listed factors which includes age. The Fair Work Ombudsman's number is 13 13 94.

You can also call the Australian Human Rights Commission. If it were me though I'd start with Fair Work and ask for their advice then go from there.

Good luck!