VIC Employment Law - Entitlements Regarding Work-related Travel?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mandy**

29 November 2016
I'm a part-time employee & I need to travel to a client's premises to perform clerical services. My employment contract states my physical work location, which is the office address plus remotely from Home Office.

Approximately 1/2 of my working hours are remotely from home office and the remainder at a client's premises. I rarely need to go into the office. I use my own car to travel to see clients. My Employer is refusing to reimburse me for travel costs (78c per km as per Clerks Private Sector Award 2010) for travel from 'Remote Home Office' to the client and return, even though I'm using my own car.

Also, please note that I'm a carer for my disabled husband.

Could you please help me what I am entitled to under employment law for travel costs in this situation?

Thanks & regards

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
This is a tricky situation as pressing for your rights may lead to a loss of job.

Are you being paid above award rates and therefore have an inbuilt allowance for car use?

Mandy**

29 November 2016
I've been there nearly 12 months and previously included my travel time in my ordinary hours which I was getting paid for. I am getting paid above the award rate & my rate hasn't changed since I started.

My employer has now recently changed the business structure from a sole trader to a company and I have finally been given an Employment contract. Since the business structure changed, he has stopped paying me for my travel & advised I'm not entitled to it unless I'm travelling from the office to the client or from client to client.