Contract IT job offer revoked, 4 days before 'date of joining'

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ranjitgowda

14 February 2021
Hi All,

I was offered a senior developer role with Company A. I got the offer on January 15th 2021 and it was a 6 month contract ( 15th February - 15th August 2021) and I was supposed to work from Company A's client Company B's office in Sydney. I was in Bangalore, India when I appeared for the Interview ( I have Australian PR ), and I was offered the role on 15th January, which I accepted almost immediately.

I was told by my employer (Company A), initially that I could work from home for some time and then travel to Australia, when possible. However, when the joining date was just 1 week away, I was told by my employer that my offer would be invalid, if I can't travel and I need to travel immediately. Once, I managed to find flights to travel, on 11th February 2021, I was told that my offer is pending confirmation.

I quit my well paying existing job and accepted my 1st Australian job, only to have no jobs now. I am in Bangalore, India. I am confident of find a job here, though I plan on moving to Sydney or Melbourne when things are normal. Is there anything, I can do legally so Company A doesn't do this to others.

Please help me out. Thank you.

Regards
Ranjit
+91-99868 99149

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is the job offer and acceptance in writing?

Any conditions attached to the offer?

What reason did Company A provide for taking away the job?

ranjitgowda

14 February 2021
Hi Rod,
Thanks for your time !!

Yes, the job offer and acceptance is in writing.

I have attached my offer letter, please have a look.

The reason given by Company A, is that, Company A's client Company B doesn't have the requirement anymore.

Initially, I was told over calls and mails that me being in India and not in Australia was the problem. I somehow could find expensive flights to Australia. With this information, when I went back to Company A, they told 'offer not yet confirmed'.

Thanks n Regards
Ranjit

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
What do you want to happen? and what have been your losses?

ranjitgowda

14 February 2021
There have been no losses yet. I don't have a confirmed job now, I am trying to get back to the company I resigned from 30 days back. Now, my team ( if I get back into the company I tried to resign from ) knows I am Australian PR and I won't be around long. This can affect my appraisal, which is due in April.

How can someone give an offer which has no value at the time of joining, does this have no legal implication, unless I suffer financial loss. During my notice period, I have worked on every weekend and 12 hrs every weekday, so I could leave my present company within a month ( typical notice period in India is 90 days). I finish all my pending job, handover, documents and find there is no where to go.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
There can be consequences, not sure how far you want to take the matter. You can talk to a Sydney lawyer for preliminary advice.

ranjitgowda

14 February 2021
Hi Rod,

Thanks a lot !! Can you please give me a name/email address/mobile number I can get in touch with.

Thanks for your time.

Regards
Ranjit

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Check my signature for a link, or Google our name.

Keep in mind I'm not in Sydney.