VIC Employment Law - Employer No Longer Paying Me for Public Holidays?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

pto123

4 December 2015
Hi, I work to a 10 day roster week, 1 Wednesday Thursday & Friday - week 2 Monday Tuesday & Wednesday. Each shift is 12 hrs. Until recently I was paid for public holidays if I wasn't rostered on & if I was rostered on I was paid double time.

My employer suddenly decided to not pay me for the public holidays which fell on a day I was not rostered on. The reason they stated was because they don't have to pay me because I don't normally work that day, but I cover every weekday over the fortnightly roster period.

Please help under Employment Law.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Are you casual or permanent part-time or other?

Did you change jobs/awards recently?

Did you recently sign a new employment agreement?

What modern award are you on?

pto123

4 December 2015
Are you casual or permanent part-time or other?

Did you change jobs/awards recently?

Did you recently sign a new employment agreement?

What modern award are you on?
Hi thanks for the questions

I am a permanent part time & have been employed at the same company for 5.5 years. I haven't signed a new employment agreement recently. I am on the ambulance & patient transport award.

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Assuming you are covered under the Ambulance and Patient Transport Industry Award 2010 MA000098 it looks like the employer might be acting within the law.

Though they are not allowed to change your roster just to avoid a public holiday.