NSW Education Qualifications Not Classified Correctly By Employer - Lower Level

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Fairness14

25 October 2014
Hi there,

My overseas qualifications went through assessment with NOOSR in 2009. It was recognized as "advanced diploma" (AQF level 6) childcare educator. This year we learnt that all childcare qualifications needs to go through the new childcare authority (ACECQA).I went through the process, the same qualification was approved as " early childhood teacher"- degree level(AQF level 7). Since 2009 I work in a Longday Care Centre - obviously paid as diploma trained educator. The teacher level is paid significantly more- so as such in these 5 years I lost a big amount of money, because my qualification was not classified correctly in 2009. What can I do under employment law?

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
I dont have a legal basis for this comment just my experience.
I dont think you can say you were incorrectly assessed in 2009 as the assessment criteria have changed. If you were re assessed by the same criteria you may have a case.
If it were the other way round would still say the new assessment was correct? I doubt it;)

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Fairness14,

I agree with Winston, is the criteria for assessment the same from 2009 and current? The new authority, being different from the previous one, would have different considerations and emphasis and aims than the 2009 authority. Further, new assessments do not usually apply retrospectively.