Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

WA Education and Training International - Unable to Enrol Fiancee's Son in School?

Discussion in 'Immigration Law Forum' started by Strongarms38, 4 February 2016.

  1. Strongarms38

    Strongarms38 Well-Known Member

    16 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    My fiancee came out to Australia on the 4th of January with her 12-year-old son. We enroled him at school seemingly without any issues. 3 days after term began, we were contacted by the Education and Training International stating that he would need to stop attending school immediately as he had not been enroled through the proper channels. They have told us that without going through the Education and Training International and having my soon to be step-son fill out the international student forms required for enrolment, he cannot attend school at all. Even once the forms are filled out, he would only be eligible to study no longer than 3 months.

    We are to be married in late March and neither my fiancee or my stepson have any intention or interest in returning to the US from where they have come leaving an abusive father behind. We are now looking into possible options and was hoping someone on this forum might be able to shed some light on any alternatives to navigate around this issue?

    It seems rather extreme to suggest that even if we were to pay the exorbitant fee's they're demanding of $15,510 he would only be able to attend school for no more than 3 months anyway. My fiancee has a job to go to once her current tourist Visa expires in April. Her ex back in the US is a very unstable man and her son doesn't like him at all.

    He's now worried that if we can't have him enroled in school he may be forced to return to the US and my fiancee would have to go also as he's a disgusting man who abuses the children. A narcissist and rotten to the core.

    Is it possible for me to adopt or take on some kind of legal guardian role in his life and can he disown his biological father?

    This issue is time sensitive so we need to act fast.
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    This seems to be more of a visa issue than a guardian issue to me. If he is here like is mother is on a tourist visa then there are obviously limitations and restrictions on what he is able to do.

    Just the same as a person is not permitted to work in Australia if they do not have the requisite long term visa. They need to get residency visas which will enable them to go to school and work here. Then you can take whatever action you like to be his guardian, but a valid visa must come first.
Similar Threads - Education Training International
  1. Aylama
  2. Magnetoid

Share This Page