VIC Double fine for speeding caught by camera and police 25mins apart on the same hi-way.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hill

29 June 2017
Hi,

I was caught by a police officer in Victoria for speeding 25k above the speed limit on a 100zone. I already pay for it and move on.

After few weeks I received infringement notice saying that I was detected by a camera speeding 25k above speed limit on the same day, the same hi-way the police officer caught me. It was just 25 mins apart, the camera caught me first then after 25 mins the police officer.

I just feel that I am being charge 2 times on the same offence with 2 detection methods.

Its my first speeding offence and I was given 8 demerit points within 25mins apart. I am a Full license holder.

I hope somebody can advice me if I have a right to dispute this matter. Thank you.

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Hi,

I was caught by a police officer in Victoria for speeding 25k above the speed limit on a 100zone. I already pay for it and move on.

After few weeks I received infringement notice saying that I was detected by a camera speeding 25k above speed limit on the same day, the same hi-way the police officer caught me. It was just 25 mins apart, the camera caught me first then after 25 mins the police officer.

I just feel that I am being charge 2 times on the same offence with 2 detection methods.

Its my first speeding offence and I was given 8 demerit points within 25mins apart. I am a Full license holder.

I hope somebody can advice me if I have a right to dispute this matter. Thank you.
It is my view that you should only get one fine if you are in the same speed zone.
Call if you want to discuss further.

Jermy

30 March 2015
hi,
just a thought, if you can show that the two infringements show the same place/location then the time difference could be explained and then clear the second infringement.

Hope that helps.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
should only get one fine if you are in the same speed zone

Is it one speed zone, or the same offence in the one trip? (eg speeding 0-15kmh over limit, rather than 10 kmh over 60 kmh and 10 kmh over 110 kmh).

And does passing through different zones in the one trip makes any difference if two offences for 10 kmh over 110 in the one trip are separated by a town with 60 kmh?

Been awhile since I looked at this area of law and it used to be same offence within one trip. Avoids the absurd conclusion that someone could rack up hundreds or thousands of fines for each second they may be over the limit.