NSW Dogs off lead approaching dog on lead

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
Who is responsible if dog on lead if an off lead dog approaches an on lead dog and the on lead dog gets scared and bites it?

Atticus

6 February 2019
1) ALL owners are responsible for their own animal/s, be it on private or public land, & be it on or off a lead

2) In the scenario you describe.... On lead owner should have a muzzle on the dog (just owners opinion that their dog bit out of fear).... The attack on other dog *may* be mitigated by that owner not having thier dog on a lead, PROVIDING, that they were in an area that the law sates they must be on lead

Last edited:

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
It is just a hypothetical question. I just saved a dog (b***h) from the rspca, she is absolutely lovely, but I am worried she may not like another dog approaching us off lead. I think she had been in a dog fight before ahe was surrended.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I would think the owner whose pet is outside the control of the owner is responsible ie the owner of the off-lead dog.

The owner of the on-lead dog may become partly responsible IF they do something to make the situation worse.

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
Thanks, I did not realise how big she was until I got her home! I will always have her on a lead just worried about a yappy little dog running out to her, or the neighbours deliberately letting their dogs out off the lead. She seems quite timid but I think she would be protective against other dogs.

Thanks for the insight.