LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

TAS Australian Law - Illegal to Lead Dog on Bicycle?

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by Jake Jones, 14 March 2016.

1. Jake Jones

Jake Jones Member

Hello,

I am trying to get some clarification on the law relating to leading a dog while riding a bicycle. From what I have researched of road rules, it is illegal to have an animal on a lead while riding, even if they were attached with a purposely designed lead.

Now the question is, is it also illegal under Australian law to do so while on a path and not on the road?

Secondly, is there written restrictions of size/weight/shape of bicycle trailers? The only information I can find is on carrying children in trailers.

I ask as I hope to go bicycle touring with my faithful dog.

Thanks

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

It appears different states have different laws. In NSW the Road Rules state that:

"A driver, motorcycle rider, bicycle rider or passenger must not lead an animal, including by tethering, while the vehicle is moving.
    Animals should be seated or housed in appropriate areas.

Note:

A driver must not drive with an animal in the driver’s lap.
    A motorcycle rider must not ride with an animal between the handlebars and the rider."

As I understand it this also applies to "road related areas" such as footpaths and shared use paths like bike tracks.

Not sure about TAS though sorry.

3. Jake Jones

Jake Jones Member

Bummer that sure is a hindrance