Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Do I Need an ABN to Start a Business?

Discussion in 'Commercial Law Forum' started by Jay1, 10 July 2014.

1. Jay1

Jay1 Member

Hi, hope I am in the right forum. I am starting my own non-medical home care and personal care business as I am a certified Personal carer with a National Police Check. Am I ok to start this with just my ABN, or do I need to have other registrations under commercial law? I am just offering domestic care and social outing, shopping, showering etc. Thanks.

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

As a business you can trade as a sole trader with an ABN. You may need to register for GST with the ATO depending on amount of earnings. Check this with the ATO.

You can create a PTY LTD company if you want to, more expensive, but some protection if you have your own home.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Jay1 likes this.
  3. Jay1

Jay1 Member

Hi Rod
    Thanks for the reply, also I was wondering about the legal side of starting this type of business?? Can anyone start it since it's non-medical services.
    Cheers
    Jay

4. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

I'm not in your industry so can't comment. Check with the relevant Gov't department/Council.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Jay1 likes this.