Divorce Without Original Marriage Certificate?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

lucy-nsw

5 May 2014
My brother was married overseas and he only have a copy of the marriage certificate and a copy of the translation. Can he get a divorce without original certificate?

CathL

19 April 2014
Australia
Hi Lucy
I think the answer is yes, he can get a divorce with the copy of the marriage certificate and the translation (rather than the original certificate). I think the translation requirement will be more work as there's a requirement for the translator to sign an Affidavit. See the Family Law Courts FAQ on Separation and Divorce that says:
I married overseas – can I get a divorce in Australia?
If you were married overseas, you can apply for a divorce in Australia if either you or your spouse:

• regard Australia as your home and intend to live indefinitely in Australia are an Australian citizen or resident, or
  • are an Australia citizen by birth or descent
  • are an Australia citizen by grant of an Australia citizenship
  • ordinarily live in Australia and have done so for 12 months immediately before filing for divorce.
You must provide the Court with a copy of your marriage certificate. If your marriage certificate is not in English, you need to file:
  • an English translation of it, and
  • an affidavit from the translator which:
  • states his or her qualifications to translate
  • attaches a copy of the marriage certificate
  • attaches the translated marriage certificate
  • states that the translation is an accurate translation of the marriage certificate, and
  • states that the attached copy of the marriage certificate is a true copy of the marriage certificate translated.
More information can be found in the Affidavit translation of marriage certificate form under the Forms section of this website.

Hope this helps.