QLD Delayed Wages - What to Do Under Employment Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

April009

7 January 2016
I've worked for 3 weeks in this cafe. I've only recently been paid the remaining balance for the 1st week I worked there. The wages for the 2nd and 3rd weeks have not shown up. I need the pay; I've already been fined $50 because some bills automatically get deducted from my account but there isn't any money in there.

What should I do under Employment Law and what happens now?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Talk to the owner in the first instance and find out what is going on.

April009

7 January 2016
I have. At first, she said it was cause of the bank and I was thinking, yeah, sure holidays and all. On the 2nd week, she says it should be on time. Same as the 3rd. But still nothing. I've also asked her to send me the details/copy of the receipt to check if the bank details are correct, but have never received it. It's not just me not getting paid, though.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
The importance of the job to you dictates how you should handle the next step. If important, try a friendly conversation followed up with a polite email confirming the discussion.

If the job is not too important, a firmer discussion or email saying your pay is overdue and you want all overdue wages paid with 7 days.

April009

7 January 2016
I told her the first time the first pay was late for a week, "I won't be working if the payment hasn't arrived". That's when she gave me a partial payment (I received the rest this week). The rest of the stuff just hasn't shown up. I actually informed her.

On the 30th, she told me the pay she did through eft (this is for the 2nd week of work I did for her). It's the 7th of Jan now and nothing.

I told her I won't be able to work for her anymore, I needed to find a different job. Her reply, "I understand, good luck."

I have sent her messages that the money is not in yet. No replies. And I also asked her if she did put the 2nd payment through, and if she can send me a copy of the receipt to check the account details as well.

She just said "yep".

It's frustrating to be decent to people who you know are lying through their teeth and it seems like she doesn't give a cr@p about her employees, unpaid bills are racking up and I can't do anything at all

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
OK. Recommend contacting the Fair Work Ombudsman to recover unpaid wages.

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
How much money does she owe you?
is she a pty ltd company?