LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD Previous Employer Withholding Wage - Is this Legal?

Discussion in 'Employment Law Forum' started by Bruce_Dowden, 24 May 2015.

1. Bruce_Dowden

Bruce_Dowden Member

I'm in a bit of a pickle here and would like some help on my current situation. I recently commenced a work role as a 1st year apprentice chef in a small Cafe/Restaurant (10-5-15) but my employment there didn't last long at all, only a week. I had a nervous breakdown and didn't show up to my shift on Sunday (17-5-15) and I terminated my employment on the following Monday.

But now the employer says I have forfeit all my previous 47 hours wages for missing the Sunday shift. Under employment law, is this true, or must I be paid for the hours I did work? I was working full time but no paper work was ever signed, whenever I asked to do it he always said "another time".

2. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi Bruce,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulties. You are correct that your employer must pay you for any work you have done. I suggest you call Fair Work Australia on 13 13 94 and see what assistance and support they can offer you to get your owed pay.

Bruce_Dowden likes this.
  3. Bruce_Dowden

Bruce_Dowden Member

Thank you Ivy for your reply. I'll be on the phone to them first thing in the morning. Once again, thank you.