QLD Previous Employer Withholding Wage - Is this Legal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bruce_Dowden

24 May 2015
I'm in a bit of a pickle here and would like some help on my current situation. I recently commenced a work role as a 1st year apprentice chef in a small Cafe/Restaurant (10-5-15) but my employment there didn't last long at all, only a week. I had a nervous breakdown and didn't show up to my shift on Sunday (17-5-15) and I terminated my employment on the following Monday.

But now the employer says I have forfeit all my previous 47 hours wages for missing the Sunday shift. Under employment law, is this true, or must I be paid for the hours I did work? I was working full time but no paper work was ever signed, whenever I asked to do it he always said "another time".

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Bruce,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulties. You are correct that your employer must pay you for any work you have done. I suggest you call Fair Work Australia on 13 13 94 and see what assistance and support they can offer you to get your owed pay.

Reactions: Bruce_Dowden

Bruce_Dowden

24 May 2015
Thank you Ivy for your reply. I'll be on the phone to them first thing in the morning. Once again, thank you.