VIC Defamation Victoria Melbourne

Discussion in 'Defamation Law Forum' started by Palmac, 26 September 2018.

1. Palmac

Palmac Member

DEFAMATION Victoria
    Hi All,
    I have situation where an organization, in Victoria, led by an individual (the president) has used, what I believe to be false and misleading information which has led to the cancellation of my membership. As Im a professional person in this same industry, this has resulted in causing harm to my reputation and honour.
    I wrote a letter seeking any evidence supporting their claims. No reply.
    I then sent a sworn affidavit seeking the same, three sworn (JP) affidavits in all were served using registered post all confirmed received. No rebuttal.
    I wish to seek damages and restoration of my membership.
    How do I proceed?
    Many thanks P

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member
    LawTap Verified

Get a lawyer. The lawyer will send a concerns notice as the first step.

Defamation is not DIY.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Rob Legat - SBPL

LawTap Verified

You should also look into the rules of the organisation with respect to cancellation of membership, and ensure that they have complied.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Palmac

Palmac Member

Good advice, I'm capable but will take on board your words thanks.
    I believe I have a strong case

5. Palmac

Palmac Member

I'm not sure what rules would allow wrongful behavior or the defaming of a man?

6. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member
    LawTap Verified

I'm a DIY type of guy, but for defamation I'd at least be briefing a barrister.

Defamation is a highly technical area of law with many nuances and many defences. Each claim is tested and get one wrong and there will be cost consequences.

And speaking of costs, should you lose, you will face an order for costs that may run very high.

^^ This statement leads me to believe you need legal help. You may well be a professional and have good expertise in your field, but it doesn't mean you can become a heart surgeon because you have Dr Google assisting you.

7. Rob Legat - SBPL

LawTap Verified

They don't. What you're looking for is to see whether the rules have been breached. Assuming they have, this could give weight to your allegations of defamation and get you back your membership.