QLD Defamation in Newspaper - What To Do If Concerns Notice Is Ignored?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

7and3

20 February 2015
Hi, I have been defamed with intent in a newspaper which can be proven and also myself and husband victimised. A defamation concerns notice was issued but ignored, all follow ups have been ignored. What is suggested? Our small community now has many people believing the lies.

S

Sophea

If the person or persons responsible for defaming you are not responding and are unwilling to retract or issue a public apology for what they have said, it would say its time to institute proceedings. Or alternatively send a final notice to them stating that if a public retraction or apology is not made (whatever you want them to do) you will proceed with instituting proceedings and then do that if you get no response.

You will need to draft a Statement of Claim outlining your position and the legal basis for your claim of defamation. Check out this factsheet put out by QPILCH: Factsheet -Defamation

I would see a lawyer, but if you can't afford one contact your local community legal centre or qpilch for assistance.

Reactions: Ivy

7and3

20 February 2015
Thank you Sophea,

I have seen a lawyer as they issued the concerns notice. The defendant is screening and ignoring all contact from my lawyer. My lawyer has asked if I want to take further action with a statement of claim.
I intend on doing this, but and only to save some initial $$$ I want to complete myself. If court goes ahead I would then have my lawyer represent me.

In addition to defamation this person has victimised me and my husband (all can be proven) and I am wanting to add this to my statement of claim.

All is a huge mess, I was a volunteer for an association where this man and his best friend were motivated by keeping control of the pot of gold $$$ that the association holds. Basically this has all come about because I as secretary enforced fair contribution for all members, whereas these two men (one being the president) would not have it. The operations of the association have been illegal and unconstitutional, I have made a request for Fair Trading to investigate, but that is still under review. This has affected an entire community and also our local council. It is a big deal, I am just carnage along the way that was used as a scape goat. It has caused me an my family a great deal of stress and I have had to seek professional counselling to cope with it. The media that wrote the defamatory statements about ne is also in with the men that defamed me, the editor has done some very inappropriate things in disclosing confidential information. All can be proven. On top of all of this I was bullied for months by these people, again proof here.

People leave our community for lessor than this and I cannot understand how the law seems to allow them to get away with it. I have committed to clearing my and our families name as we live in this small environment and it does affect us daily.

Any suggestions, it is almost A Current Affair story.

Warmest