VIC Defamation Case Filed Against Me?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jai_3000

6 March 2019
Hi all,

I have been involved with a private company as an investor and lost 40K. The company directors are telling they have made a loss of 80% investment. The company is not providing accurate accounts/information.

I have contacted 3 other investors to find out if they have received any update from the company.
1 investor is not ready to discuss/not interested (I called directly). 2 investor(called directly) said he will meet me to discuss(over the phone conversation. I told him that I have some information and to see if she has same info as me) but due to personal reasons I have not met.

3 investor contact number has been provided by my friend and was supposed to meet on the weekend (again dint meet due to personal reason).

4 person non-investor and my old housemate and friend, during the discussion I told him how I invested money in this company and complete end to end.

Investor 1,2,3 contacted company director and told that I am contacting to discuss about investment and they have asked the company director to meet or not.

4 person told that he know's how the investment process happened to the company director.

Finally, the company director told my common friend that why I am contacting other investors for information and why I am telling other people about investment and he is going to file a defamation case against me soon.

My question:

Did I do anything wrong in asking other investors if they are ok to share information?

Telling a friend about the investment, is it defaming someone?

Do I not have the right to discuss with friends and other investors?

Do I have any legal rights?

I feel like my right to talk is being taken away.

Any help, please

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
If it’s truthful information being passed back and forth, the chances of it being defamatory are almost nil.

What may be more relevant is if you’d agreed to keep the information confidential.

Jai_3000

6 March 2019
If it’s truthful information being passed back and forth, the chances of it being defamatory are almost nil.

What may be more relevant is if you’d agreed to keep the information confidential.

Thank You, Rob, for the information.

As of today update from the friend is that this company director has said that there were some allegations sent to his employee and he thinks that it was me and he is talking to his lawyer to do monetary compensation as part of Defamation.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Suggest you wait now and see what happens.

There can be claims of breach of confidentiality, or defamation. You could try negotiating with this person, or waiting until a lawyer's letter arrives.

Talking about your investment with other shareholders is likely OK as long as you were telling the truth.

It may well be the main person has done the wrong thing in losing the money and is threatening legal action in order to head off legitimate inquiries into why the company lost money.